We suggest reading that blog post (including the comments where additional information is often provided) and keeping an eye out for updated news information from Software MacKiev itself via its mailing list news/updates. If you have/use Family Tree Maker you really should subscribe to the MacKiev mailing list emails. Why? Those on the mailing list get the latest information sent directly to them AND those on the list get access to special offers regarding Family Tree Maker.
Here are some of the key points from Ancestry's blog post.
- TreeSync (Ancestry.com's Family Tree Maker) will be replaced by Software MacKiev's FamilySync.
- FamilySync will only be available in Software MacKiev's Family Tree Maker 2017 edition.
- Family Tree Maker 2017 will be released on March 31, 2017.
- If you purchased an edition of Family Tree Maker from Software MacKiev since March 1, 2016, your upgrade to Family Tree Maker 2017 is free.
- If you have a previous edition of Family Tree Maker OR got the free update of Family Tree Maker 2014.1 or Mac 3.1 from Software MacKiev, you are eligible for discounted upgrades.
- For those who sign up for Software MacKiev's mailing list before March 29, 2017, the pre-order upgrade price will be $29.95 US. The upgrade will continued to be discounted ($39.95) for a limited time after March 29.
Clearly there is value to signing up for the Software MacKiev Family Tree Maker mailing list. As of today, March 20, the Software MacKiev store does not show Family Tree Maker 2017 in the store. It is possible there will be a special link in the Software MacKiev Family Tree Maker mailing list email for subscribers but we will have to wait and see how "pre-order" will be handled.
So what is going to happen at Ancestry.com when the new FTM2017 is released?
- Between Wednesday, March 29, and Friday, March 31, Ancestry.com says there will be a "short period" when the syncing function may be interrupted as Software MacKiev rolls out its new syncing technology.
- As of March 29, 2017, Ancestry.com will no longer support TreeSync due to the introduction of Software MacKiev's FamilySync.
It is not clear if "will no longer support" means TreeSync help will not be provided or TreeSync will no longer work. So based on this news if TreeSync will not longer work, it appears to us that there might be a few days where no one will be able to sync (with the old TreeSync or new FamilySync) because Family Tree Maker 2017 will not be released until March 31.
When we spot any additional news, we will be sure to relay it.
See you soon at Mt. Clemens Public Library!