These databases are:
- Hampden County, MA: Black Families in Hampden County, 1650-1865
- People of Color in the Massachusetts State Census, 1855-1865
- Massachusetts: 1855 State Census
- Massachusetts: 1865 State Census
- Free Negro Heads of Families in the United States in 1830
The New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS), which operates the AmericanAncestors website, has also created a guide to two of the databases and a case study called Search Spotlight: African American Records.
To access the free databases simply create a free guest user account if you do not already have one. If you are an NEGHS member, simply sign into your account.
See you soon at Mt. Clemens Public Library!